Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Day 1 - 21 Day Sugar Detox - Muffin Disaster, Meatballs & a Successful Dinner

Day 1 21 DSD

Breakfast plan: Coconut Muffins
Actual breakfast: Nothing

So this morning I got up at an early-ish time, all prepared to make "Flour Coconut Muffins." I was really excited for this. My thought was to make some for hubby and me for breakfast and freeze the rest for future yummy snacks. Opted for substituting coconut oil for olive oil and adding coconut, vanilla and cinnamon for the "sweet" muffin. Mixed it all up, popped it in, cleaned up my kitchen mess and waited excitedly.

BEEP. All done. The muffins hadn't risen, in fact they were in the same shape they'd started in. No matter, it was about the taste. Popped a bit of one in my mouth. Ummm. This couldn't be right. Took another small nibble. Uhh. No mistake. These muffins were AWFUL. I'd followed the recipe to a T but they didn't look anything like the photo. And they were distinctly AWFUL. I posted a photo on fb and made a comment about how awful they were and how I was going to try and trick Jay into eating one.

Jay comes out of the bedroom looking for a towel. I ignore the towel question and hand him a muffin, smiling broadly. "Try one of my muffins!" He takes a bite and chews it slowly. I can see he is trying to form a smile but it comes out like a pout. I laugh and say, "Kinda gross eh?" He manages to swallow and grimaces. "That's really salty. Uhh I'm gonna puke." Better than I'd hoped for.

I stare at the muffins and an idea forms. Jay finishes his shower and I make my proposal. "Jay, I think we should put the muffins in a basket and give them to our neighbours. We could put a little note that says, "This is a token of our appreciation for the weed and cigarette smells that drift through our windows everyday." Jay says I'm mean so I post my idea to fb and ask for votes. My mum agrees with Jay along with another friend, but I get four comments in agreement with my prank. I won't do it. But it's the thought that counts. I've lost my appetite for breakfast and it's getting on to 12 anyways. Jay has an egg to clear his pallet of the muffin taste and I decide to wait for lunch and make something tastier.

Snacks: A green apple, 2 hard boiled eggs, & some celery and nut butter

For snacks, I opt for a green apple whilst my 2 eggs boil. Not especially hungry but decide to send the raspberry pie I made yesterday off to work with Jay so that we won't be tempted. Part of me thinks he will give in at work but when I voice that thought, Jay protests. Will see. 2 eggs down and a promise to write some articles. Decide I'll procrastinate and create this blog first....

Lunch plan: Chorizo Meatballs & Spinach
Actual lunch: Chorizo Meatballs & Spinach (way later than I'd planned - about 4pm)

Jay got back and wanted a late lunch. Made a Chorizo spice mix - with chipotle powder, paprika, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper. Added that with some apple cider vinegar to some ground up pork and popped it in the oven. 30 mins later + a spinach salad = deliciousness. Really spicy to me, Jay doesn't think it's that spicy.

Got a few left over for lunch tomorrow. Yay!.


Was having mad sugar cravings so ordered Jay to take the cinnamon hearts to work to give to the guys along with the pie. They're probably going to get a lot of sugary donations as we discover what tempts us too much.

Am going to head out for a walk whilst it's still sunny and hope that helps a bit with the sugar cravings. Writing about lunch certainly has helped. I think it's self-motivating to write how well you're doing.

Dinner plan: Lemon Garlic Chicken & Asparagus
Actual dinner: Lemon Garlic Chicken & Asparagus

Dinner was delicious! Finally warm enough in this cold climate to use the BBQ! Day 1 = SUCCESS!





No comments:

Post a Comment