Sunday, April 7, 2013

Day 7 - 21DSD - Reflecting on a Instant-Gratification-Sugar-Stricken Culture

Day 7. Wow. Sticking to the 21DSD is much harder when you're away from home.

Planned Breakfast Fail:
For example. This morning we made sure to wake up at 9:30am so that we could enjoy the complimentary breakfast that the Hampton Inn & Suites offers. But when we got down to the lobby everything was cleared up. It was then that I saw the a clock on the back wall that read 10:40pm. I pointed it out to Jay and we realized the clock in our hotel room was set an hour back. Great.

We went back up to the room and I made a call to the front desk and explained what had happened. The hotel personnel advised if we came down now they could serve us yogurt, muffins, or fruit. Darn. I explained we were on a sugar detox and couldn't have any of those things. She said,"Oh but there's fruit salad." But the only fruits we are allowed are 1 green apple or 1 green-tipped banana. I didn't explain that as she would have thought I was crazy probably. I asked if she had any vouchers for any restaurants in the area. She advised she was with a customer and would call me back . No call back.

Reflections on our pathetic Instant-Gratification-Sugar-Stricken Culture :
It's sad how much sugar we eat normally and when you are declining sugary items you realize it. This detox has been great for me in learning the discipline of resistance. See, it's not that I eat sugary things all the time. My problem is more that if I see it, I want it right then and there and I can't say no. It has helped in the last few months that Jay has been eating healthy because we had already stopped eating bread and potatoes and only eating those if we were at someone's place and it was offered to us for dinner.

Last night at Red Lobster when I passed on the biscuits, I thought to myself how pathetic it is that it is so painful and difficult to say no to food. I thought of all the places in the world and all the poverty-stricken areas where there aren't options for the kinds of foods you can have. We are an instant-gratification-sugar-stricken culture. We see it and we want it so we buy it. I do love that Jay and I are on a strict budget as it really helps. We are learning to say no to instant-gratification spending and now we are learning to say no to instant-gratification eating. We are debt-free and we plan to keep it that way. I hope after this detox my mentality is that I desire to be sugar-free as much as possible.
Actual Breakfast:
We decided to go to Ricky's restaurant because they serve a great breakfast there. I felt sad because normally if I was there I would order a giant strawberry milkshake and hashbrowns with my meal. Pitiful - I know! For breakfast we each had an omelette laden with veges and some bacon/sausage on the side. Funny enough, I asked for a box to go but they accidentally threw it away so they decided to make me a new omelette to take. So that was sweet!

After breakfast we decided to go to the mall. I badly needed new jeans. Let me emphasize - I am not a big spender. In fact I hadn't been shopping for jeans in a year and hadn't done a shopping trip in about 5-6 months. So this was a neccessary shopping trip. My jeans were too short and my boots had holes in them.
One problem. Every store we went to didn't have boots. Every store is all about spring now. Sheesh - great timing on my part. Looks like I'll be hitting up Walmart for another pair of $25 boots.

As for the jeans I found ones from blue notes that FIT! This was amazing. I HATE shopping for pants because I am tall but don't have a huge butt so pants either are tight and look great but too short or long but I've got "butt baggage" (pockets of nothing hanging off my butt). And to top it off  - the jeans were buy 1 get one 50% off. Awesome.

Now for SNACKS for our road trip home. We got jalapeno havarti cheese, cherry tomatoes, carrots, almonds, brazil nuts, and Mary Organic Crackers. The crackers were the closest thing we could find to what was allowed. They had no listed sugar but they did have rice flour. They weren't especially tasty but they worked with the cheese.

Planned dinner : Something
Actual dinner: Spinach salad with ham, cheery tomatoes, havarti cheese, and sesame seeds. Yum.
For dessert - frozen banana "icecream".

Day 7  = SUCCESS

No comments:

Post a Comment