Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Day 3 - 21 DSD - The First Big Test

Day 3. Uhh definitely slept through both my alarms. That was not part of my plan.
Had a really strange dream about a bear chasing me. I have had dreams about being chased by a bear on several occasions. Ever since my Mum came to visit and said she hoped to see a bear. The months leading up to her visit, I was plagued by nightmares of bears chasing me, bears chasing my mum, etc. Thankfully the only bear we saw was when we were driving. Anyways I digress..

So back to Day 3.

Planned breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs
Actual breakfast: 1 scrambled egg and a green apple

Felt like I'd been hit by a train (or what I assume that feels like). Managed to shower, get ready for work, let Sadie (my dog) out, inhale a scrambled egg and ran out the door with a green apple in hand. Made sure to take some almonds in case I got the chocolate cravings. It's not that I eat chocolate all the time by the way, it's the fact that several people at my work have offices designated as the chocolate offices and usually on a slow afternoon, I make an appearance in one or two of those offices. Shameful, I know.

So I was super tired at work but the almonds and drinking lots of water seemed to help.

Planned lunch: Leftovers - Zucchini with ground beef and tomatoes.
Actual lunch: Leftovers - Zucchini with ground beef and tomatoes.

Getting into this pattern. Making enough dinner to serve as lunch the next day. Lunch was really delicious. I think from now on when I want to make pasta dishes I'll just use zucchini or squash instead. Has the same consistency as pasta but way better for you.

Finished work and came home. Jay got groceries - love that man. Had a little bit of a headache but drank quite a bit of water and it went away.

Dinner plan: Garlic-Lime Steak Wraps with Guacamole
Actual dinner: Garlic Beef Wraps with Guacamole

So I start dinner and realize our BBQ is out of propane so will cook the beef strips in the frying pan. I make some guacamole using the lime, avocados, and cilantro and when I bring up my beef recipe I realize I need 2 more limes for the marinade. Darn it. Oh well. I'll just cook the beef in chilli powder and garlic and omit the lime part. Adding a dash of black pepper and chilli powder every two seconds makes me feel like a real cook, lol. Still, they turn out really yummy! Added some green and red peppers, and tomato to get some veges in!




Now - here comes the first test. I decided since I'm gone this weekend (to Edmonton), it would be fun to have a Young Life girls hang out. Inevitably I KNOW there will be sugary sweets/probably delicious baking/junk food. AHHH this sucks. But I WILL resist! Blogging is keeping me accountable. I think I'm going to attempt a banana ice cream recipe before I go - maybe to take. Frozen bananas, vanilla extract, cream, and unsweetened cocoa powder. Apparently it tastes like ice cream. As the kinda gal who normally snubs her nose at anything other than Marble Slab or Kawartha Dairy I'll have to pretend that it's real ice cream. So that's the plan - will touch base afterwards to let you know how it goes...

Ended up running late so I didn't have time to make "icecream" before the hangout. Yet I somehow made it through the night without snacking on a single chocolate, chip, or cookie! Funny enough it seemed to help that we played the game "Apples to apples" as it made me focus on healthier things.

Get back home and Jay and I watch a movie. I decide to make banana "icecream" . Not actually icecream, but apparently you can get the same consistently. I blend frozen banans, vanilla extract, some whipping cream, milk and unsweetened cocoa powder. UNBELIEVABLE! It tastes just like icecream - banana flavoured of course! When I get off this sugar detox I'm going to experiment with strawberries and other flavors! Jay loves it too!

Day 3 = SUCCESS!

1 comment:

  1. I know that I don't know you, but I wanted to say thank you. I am on Day 8 of the 21DSD, and your blog has encouraged and motivated me. Last night I made the chocolate banana ice cream you talked about, and I almost cried happy tears at how delicious it was. Thank you a hundred times over!

    ReplyDelete